Big Booms

Thursday: Zagreb, Day 2



I never did go back to sleep. 🤣

After a lovely breakfast provided by our hotel, off we went to find adventures.  1st stop: the Cathedral of Zagreb

900 hundred years old and under construction. Old churches is one of our things.  I love to see the ceilings. This ceiling: 4/10.  

Next stop: Heather has Zagreb coffee.  This city is reportedly iconic for coffee culture.  I skipped coffee at breakfast to save myself for my one coffee for the day.  I ordered a White Coffee (bijela kava), which is basically a latte.  Can confirm: it’s delicious. 

Then we headed to St. Marks, another old church.  But it was not open to visitors today!  Today is a Croatia holiday, their Independence Day, from 1991 when they cut ties with Yugoslavia.   (and earlier this week was their anti-fascist celebration.  Anti-fascist Struggle Day, originating from WWII events.)  We think it was closed for Independence Day events. 

Then we walked up the street to this bell tower that has a canon in it that goes off everyday at noon.  


We were entertained by the video he captured.  

At this point, we changed our plan, as I wasn’t feeling super awesome in the digestive dept. I had a big boom of my own shortly before the cannon went off. Forever grateful that I obsessively carry a Dude Wipe in my purse for this exact possibility, with no toilet paper to be found.  International travel doesn’t play…that really could’ve ruined my day.     

Hubby went on his own adventure to the Zagreb Harley dealer to grab his chips, as is his tradition.  After a few hours rest, we joined back up for a walk to see other Stuff and Things around the town.

Dinner at La Struk.  Strukli is a Croatian comfort food: basically a lasagna with fun variations.  We had salty cheese and then cinnamon apple.  Savory and sweet.  It was good, though not my favorite.  Then we walked over to a brewery.  

Back to hotel to get organized for tomorrow. Hubby is getting up early for soccer (I probably won’t.) Then we head out to the Istria region.  




Cathedral of Zagreb





St. Mark’s

The bell tower with the cannon
Lots of stairs.  Worthy view. 


Funicular
Gazebo in a park 


Symphony hall
The train
La Struk - two kinds of strukli

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dobar dan

Sunday Scaries