Dobar dan
Wednesday: Zagreb, Day 1
That’s how you say good day or good afternoon in Croatian. That’s the first phrase hubby asked a server to teach us how to say over a delicious sausage and bread wrap thingy called a crottotinnaliniii….? I’ll come back with the correct word on that later. Also, it turns out, fried potatoes are yet again universal to every culture I have experienced. We had some yummy fried potato wedges seasoned with yummy stuff and a sauce that reminded me of Freddy’s fry sauce, but homemade for sure
So, I’m up at 4:07am on the day after our flight in. Jetlag is a killer every time. Not unexpected. We tried really hard to stay up with the sun, but as I could barely form words at 4:30pm after a 24 hr travel day, this was not going to happen. I collapsed into bed at 6:41pm. Next to Chris who was already snoring while I was in the shower. He said he was going to try to stay up until 7pm. He says to me, “I’m not Go Go Go on vacation like you are…” He said this right before I punched him in the face. We previously had a conversation over dinner that I would need a nap tomorrow while making our next days plans. He scoffed, naps are pointless on vacation. Daggers fly out of heathers eyes. Then we discussed the World Cup upcoming USA game at 5am. My turn to scoff. I will not be doing that. I will be in bed.
Look. He likes to watch the futbol in exotic locations. I like to read my book in exotic locations. We are complete opposites, yet somehow the same.
Anyway. To bed at 6:41pm. Up for a mid-sleep siesta at 2:23am. The first few days adjusting to the other side of the earth, I will be a bi-phasic sleeper. I took some IBprofen (I ache all over. Thank you, airline industry). Used a popmask self-heated eye mask (new discovery - I love these!). Very nice. Did some floor yoga with my therapy balls. (Can someone invent some travel yoga blocks, please). Drank water. Ate my melted crinkled bag of Kroger chocolate covered pretzels like a goblin in the bathroom. So as to not wake the husband who is of course sleeping thru the night, no problem.
As I schlep my carryon luggage full of my Creature Comforts thru the airport, up tiny portable steps to tiny airplanes (shout out to hubby who carried my extremely-dense roller bag suitcase for me up the stairs), thru parking garage, the 8 min walk over cobblestone streets to our first city center hotel, I wonder to myself, is all this stuff worth it…
I look at myself in the mirror with my messy curl/wave/mats and blue tips like the perimenopausal witch that I am, pieces of pretzel falling out my mouth and think to myself “yup.”
Later I’ll tell a story about the stress balls at the airport and how I stopped myself from stabbing a TSA worker.
Doing a Brent Kinder and last minute decided to blog my trip. I looked out the window at 3:45am and saw the old town square with old lamp posts and felt giddy. I’m in Croatia!
Ok, time for phase 2 of bi-phasic sleep. Good nacht.








Comments
Post a Comment