Dragons & Sea Urchins

 Wednesday: Split 




Mmmm….chocolate croissant and a white coffee for breakfast.  I love that the default size is a little 8oz cup.  Reminds me of the Europeans visiting the USA marveling at the 64oz of soda from the gas stations.  


We dropped off a final load of laundry on our way to explore. This will be our only laundry stop, aside from my travel clothes line and a sink for socks, undies and swimsuits. THIS is how you travel with only a carry-on and personal item. Sink laundry and laundry service where you can find it.  I always fret and complain as I’m packing for our trips (which is why it takes me 2 months to decide what I’m bringing and about 3 rounds of cuts as I pair down the list.)  It is 💯 percent worth it in the end.  I do have some circumstantial regrets in my choices, due to this heat wave.  

A pair of jeans = way too hot right now. 

3 cardigans/long sleeves = nope.  I wore a cardigan one time so far due to needing covered shoulders in the churches.  Immediately took it off outside. Too hot.  I have a pair of linen pants I’ve worn several times.  I wish I had another pair of those instead of my jeans. 


Oh and guess who carried an umbrella halfway across the world and got to use it yesterday? This gal!! I love it when my anxiety pays off. 


Diocletian’s Palace: hubby went up the bell tower while I sat and enjoyed the quiet while all the peoples were mostly still in bed.  Diocletian’s palace was a filming site for Game of Thrones. 🤓 Meereen throne room and dragon dungeon.  Pictures are for the dragon dungeon where she chains up her dragons in S4. The throne room is superimposed over this same space, I think. There was a museum too, but I wasn’t super interested in it.  There is a place in Dubrovnik where I will get my GoT fix. 

(To my dismay, I’m not caught up on House of the Dragon, and don’t plan to watch while I’m here. Excited to have a couple episodes waiting for me on PJ day when we return.)


After our exploring, we picked up our laundry and then headed to the beach!  Kasjuni Beach. What a great afternoon. Water feels great.  Cold at first, then perfect.  It’s not quite so hot today, thank goodness.  The ocean is super clear.  I had my goggles and looked around underwater. Lots of little silver fishies. Also tons of cute sea urchins hanging out in cozy spots in the rocks. I saw a postcard in Rovinj of a smiling sea urchin knitting a doily and I’ve been looking for it ever since. I should’ve bought it when I saw it. Also, female sea urchins reportedly collect rocks and I confirmed that to be true… well not the female part but the collecting rocks part.  It’s precious.  

Then we headed to a light lunch at a konobo.  We are planning a heavier dinner, so just cheese, sausages, and fries to share this afternoon. 


Then I went back to the hotel to shower and nap.  Chris went on to the Fine Arts Museum while I had my siesta. 


We have a very nice hotel room owner named Stipe.  (I thought he was named Steven, haha.  No, Steep-Puh.). This is a very popular male Croatian name, so he also goes by Chile, as in the South American country.  He is very busy around town. We kept running into him and then also one of the touristy booth wares people saw us and said “Oh you’re staying with Chile”.  How he knew that, we don’t know. But Chile/Stipe is the man to know.  


We had dinner at a wonderful comfort food place.  I ate stuffed peppers and mashed potatoes. It was delicious. Then we walked around town a little, most notably down the Riva which was hopping with cruise ship visitors, etc.  The most bustling area we’ve visited so far. 


Back to our room to pack for tomorrow. We take a ferry to our next destination, with one afternoon stop in the middle.  


Bok Bok





Dragon dungeon












Big toe. Rub for luck. 








Riva



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dobar dan

Big Booms

Sunday Scaries