Swords & Sparks ⚔️
Thursday: Split - Hvar (island) - Korcula (island)
Up early today. We were meeting Stipe at 8am and then to our ferry to Hvar at 9am. (However, Stipe texted us and said he wasn’t going to make it and just leave the key in the door. Such a busy bee!)
From what we gather, Hvar is basically the Santorini of Dalmatia. So today could be an interesting afternoon.
We boarded our 9:00am boat to Hvar and got settled. Then they announced we needed to get off and take a 10:00am boat instead because the boat wouldn’t start. Awesome. It was ok though. 10:00 boat with no issues.
Made it to Hvar. Our next boat to Korcula was scheduled for 5:30pm with plans to pay for storage of our luggage while we explore a little. We decided to check into taking a 3:30pm boat instead and successfully booked that.
In the meantime, we found an Italian pizza place on the ferry waterfront on Hvar and shared a pizza. We kept our luggage with us. We are ok that we didn’t stay longer and explore. Korcula is what we’ve really been looking forward to. Stipe confirmed that it will be excellent.
2nd ferry arrived with no issues. These ferries are a very pleasant way to travel. Much preferred to airline travel. They are big and smooth enough that they don’t bother me, especially with Dramamine of course, just in case.
We went straight to our room upon exiting the ferry, which was about a two minute walk, and then went for a swim in the ocean. The ocean is just a handful of feet out the door. Our room is above a pedestrian restaurant area. Then you go down a set of stairs and there’s the ocean.
You guys, I’m a genius. I repurposed my blow up airplane pillow that I don’t like into a floatie. So I floated in the ocean until I realized the current was taking me out away from the island. So I swam back. Pant pant pant. Made it back to the ladder (it’s all rocks with a ladder straight down into more rocks.) I touched a rock to get closer to the ladder and it teeny tiny punctured my hand. This is why you must have water shoes in Croatia or the rocks will tear up your feet.
Never fear: I over-pack for every possible scenario and I have a first aid kit that patched me right up. I love it when my anxiety takes care of future me.
We cleaned up for dinner. We sat with an amazing view. I had macaroni and beef. It was delicious. And this yummy garlic bread too. I was famished from our afternoon on the ferry and in the ocean. Then we explored around town, had some gelato, and then went to a show we bought tickets for in advance.
Moreska: a sword-fighting performance, a traditional Korcula event. I wasn’t expecting a choreographed musical! A choir, a band, a story. And now I understand why the thing started so late (9pm. Um….bedtime?). The sword dance got so intense that literally sparks were flying. It was super cool.
Croatia is playing soccer at 1am. There was a small possibility that I might stay up to watch. But nope. I am exhausted. I did, however, sport my new Croatia FIFA jersey tonight.
To bed I said.





















Comments
Post a Comment